Sunday, November 8, 2009

First step of my journey

Today I'm taking my first step toward writing professionally. Granted, it's a small step, being a blog, but it still counts as a step.

Tragically, I was born with writers block. It's a real condition, look it up, you'll find it at wikipedia or some other reputable source. I have also heard the condition described as "defeated perfectionism", which is fancy talk for "can't get out of the gate for fear of screwing up". I've always enjoyed success in wielding the written word, once I've gotten past the initial block.

Here's an example of how it usually works for me: I have an elaborate mental image of how I want my blog to be. I want different pages for different categories. I want it beautiful. Catchy. And flawless. So I pick complicated software and spend 6 weeks trying to muddle through a detailed manual for it. Can't make heads or tails of it, so I just forget about it. After all, what's the point if it isn't perfect?

This is the trap of defeated perfectionism. So in a very real sense, I've just taken a first step to beating it. This blog is not brilliant, beautiful, catchy, or even that interesting. But it's here, it's up, and possibly someone besides my husband will read it.

So, here I am. Not being brilliant, witty, or illuminating. Mostly just being boring. But the point is, I'm here. For me, 95% of the battle is just getting out of the gate.

Prepare to be dazzled!

Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment